Pages


Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fight the Power

We are destined 2 keep fighting the good fight. Being amongst other young couples and families, you begin to make a lot of speculations and comparisons about your family (future family)... at least I do. Recently, I tried to teach a young cousin how to give dap. I told his father I tried, but it didn't work out. At which point the father said, "well when's he ever going to use it?" I said I don't know, maybe on a trip into the hood (they live in the burbs), while visiting family, who knows?! He responded by saying well, "I don't think that's going to happen too often, not a skill he'll need to become president of a company."


The more I thought about this, the more it bothered me. Does this mean your [black] son won't ever be in a predominately black group, or that he shouldn't identify with black culture in order to "make it to the top"? I told Mr. D about this, to which he replied, "Guess our kids will be the ghetto cousins". Glad we're on the same page. Not to say I plan to raise any hoodrats, but you better believe my kids will be able to code switch at the drop of a dime. No need to sacrifice your "blackness" no matter where you live or where your concept of success may take you.







<3 Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment